In this guide we`ll try to make you more educated in terms of roof repair and maintenance. This will save not only your time but also money. And for those, who feel ready to start their own Calgary Roofing Business – some simple tips on how to make it a success.
How long does roof replacement take?
Nobody will tell you the exact time. There is a number of factors such as the climatic conditions, the material you want to use, the type of the roof and the contractor you`ve chosen that influence the duration of work. Depending on the job needed to be done (partial repair or the replacement of the entire roof) and the size of the roof (residential house or commercial building), it may take up from several hours to two weeks.
How to identify hail damage on a roof?
Insurance companies are not always willing to compensate the losses caused by the weather. So you need to know the signs of damage to demand compensation. Different roofing materials have different signs of hail damage. As for asphalt and composition roofs these are:
- black hail hits;
- soft to touch hail hits;
- loss of granules, which may lead to roof felt;
- asphalt or mat that appears shiny.
Speaking about wood shingle roofs, the signs of damage are:
- brown or orange splits in shingles;
- splits that have sharp corners and edges;
- splits in the shingles that have little to no deterioration at the edges;
- marks of impact or dents along the splits.
How to clean a metal roof?
Instead of hiring workers it`s much easier and cheaper to do it yourself. To clean a metal roof you need to carry out several procedures:
- Take care of your safety while working;
- Scrap corrosion and peeling paint with the help of wire brush;
- Using a pressure washer, clean the dirt and mullock;
- Apply special chemical solutions to clean rust and mold;
- As soon as your roof is clean and dry, you can paint the areas with corrosion and scrapped-off paint. We recommend using some primer before paint to prevent further corrosion.
How to run a successful roofing business?
Here are several tips how to run a successful roofing business.
- Quality is above all. If the quality of your service is low, you won`t stay long in this business;
- Certificated specialists. Working with professionals is always easier and more productive. At the same time, don’t be afraid to hire and teach perspective young people. They learn fast and you`ll be rewarded a hundredfold;
- Don`t take more than you can manage. If you miss the deadlines, your reputation will be spoiled.
- Do not hurry to expand your business. You must be ready for that both mentally and financially.
- Trust your employees and let them make tough decisions. This will make your work only better.